Monday, September 7, 2009

Eeyah oh-whoah, ah, oh, eeyah oh-whoah, ah, oh

Bitte Orca
(2009)
Dirty Projectors

Bitte Orca came out in early June. My review has been delivered in a manner we should not quite consider timely, but it was necessary; it took me three months of repeated listening to really digest this album, to understand what I thought about it. Of course, as will happen sometimes, what I think of it is still frustratingly ambiguous.

There are certain songs, such as the opener, "Cannibal Resource," which I fully enjoy. I even catch myself, from time to time, humming its hook, an oddly-timed set of, well, noises, really. This is not an accessible album, yet it is unquestionably Dirty Projector's most pleasant listen. I use the term loosely, of course. I listen to this entire album waiting for the songs to break into something I love. My coworker, Garret, overheard this album and noted, "It sounds like something I'd almost like," and I think he hit the nail on the head. I admire its pep, I see what it was going for, but I don't get it.

Grade: B-

No comments: