Thursday, April 8, 2010

'Hallelujah'

The best things in life, no matter what, are the little moments. In One Hundred Years of Solitude, Marquez makes reference to one of a pair of twins taking a sip of lemonade, and the other then commenting that it needs more sugar. The amount of energy in the chorus of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You," despite such a simple melody. That great moment in Tokyo Story when the son, arriving after his ill mother has died, immediately kneels beside her and simply asks her to forgive his lateness. These are all things that overwhelm me, and they are all simple. What I have just listed are three of the reasons I think life is worth living, really. And they are the things that I aspire to in my own personal work.

There is a remarkable performance by k.d. Lang of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" on Youtube. I beg you to watch the whole thing. 4.44 in, there is one of those moments that makes life just exquisite.

No comments: