Saturday, June 11, 2011

The CELTA Diaries, Pt. 1

Today marks the beginning of the next chapter of my life. In a few hours- more than expected, as my connecting flight has been delayed- I will arrive in Boston to spend the next month taking the CELTA course, the completion of which will certify me to teach English in other countries.

It may be accurate to say this is the beginning of the next chapter, as it's really just another transitional period, but at least this one isn't killing time like working at Disney was. If the course isn't a new chapter all on it's own, leaving for CELTA will constitute the end of this chapter and my return shall be the beginning of the next. Much like Before Christ immediately turns into After Death, I'll let you work out when the course actually takes place in this metaphor.

* * *

I am taking the CELTA course as a direct reaction to my unsuccessful JET application. In brief, the JET program hires people from all over the world to come to Japan and teach English for anywhere from one to five years. I applied back in October, but I did not get an interview. As it turns out, they were looking for people with experience and knowledge, not just unadulterated, and arguably blind, enthusiasm. Go figure.

That I can recall, this is the first time I've failed in something and then made subsequent steps to fix it so I wouldn't fail the next time. Certainly for anything on this scale. And this is the first time I've wanted to fix it. This is the first time I've wanted something enough to put in the effort. "Surely," I tell myself, as I head off into a month of relative social isolation and fiscal destitution, "surely that is a comforting thought? Surely that means we are on the right path?"

It remains for you and I to find out. But I'd say so.

Location:Philadelphia, PA

No comments: