Monday, June 15, 2009

Art Brut Vs. Satan

Art Brut Vs. Satan
(2009)
Art Brut

I can't remember the last time an album made me laugh. I can think of some recent albums that have elicited wry chuckles, but no genuine laughter. Certainly not of an uncontrolled sort. The first time I listened to this album, I was at work, and I burst out in laughter during the song "DC Comics and Chocolate Milkshake," for reasons I won't reveal here. But it's wonderful. The whole album is clever. The lyrics are funny, but not in a detached way. In some ways, my appreciation for the emotions of the situations described are increased be Eddie Argos' refined sense of humour. The album ends with a song called "Mysterious Bruises," describing a night out that started with one Xanax, two Aspirin, and a drink that made him feel invincible. From an aural perspective, it's all post-punk-influenced angular guitars and upward tempos, with Argos using the same delivery throughout, a sort of shout. But it works. Musically, Art Brut are a one trick pony, but, my God, what a trick.

Grade: A-

No comments: