Thursday, December 24, 2009

2009: Part 1

There is one week left in 2009, ladies and gentlemen. Over the course of the last 51, I have listened to 87 albums worth of music; that's well over four days worth of music. I can say it was a great year; you can tell, because even the mediocrities were at least entertaining. What I will offer, in the post to follow this one, will not necessarily name the albums I would describe as the best of the year, though for most of them that is the case. No, what we will have is a look at the things which most held my attention, the albums which I will still be listening to in one, five, or even ten years.

But before I write that entry, I would like to highlight a few albums I believe have the potential to make this list, but still require more of my time before I can feel comfortable with bestowing judgment, etc. Don't think of these as the Also-rans, though. Fuck Buttons in particular has a great chance of being a favourite for some time.

Tarot Sport
Fuck Buttons
I'm listening to it right now. And it's entrancing. But I'm listening to it now for the first time. That's not a great lead with which to form an accurate opinion.


Speech Therapy
Speach Debelle
I only listened to it once, and it was whilst cleaning my room. It was a lovely, refreshing album. Everyone should listen to it. I should listen to it again.


Tongue N Cheek
Dizzee Rascal
It would appear that I simply didn't spend enough time with UK rap this year. Then again, in the past, UK rap hasn't exactly given me reason to.


No Line On the Horizon
U2
I know, I know; I gave this a withering review when I first listened to it back at the beginning of the year, and it's on my Worst Of the Year list. But it's been placed at the top of the pile by too many critics for me not to have another go.

Some day.

No comments: