Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Title Track's Pretty Cool, Though

No Line on the Horizon
(2009)
U2

Someday, someone will explain U2 to me. There's something about them which I've never understood. With the exception of "Pride (In the Name of Love)" and "One," they've never released anything I believe exemplary of what music can be. What I do understand about U2 is they have managed to make an entire discography that's exemplary of what music can do. They are the only band going today which has a religious following. Their concerts are known to be incredibly uplifting, and you can hear why. These songs lend themselves to mass singalongs, and I can see a communal experience attached to these as being something extraordinarily powerful. But, taken as an album on its own terms? Music from the same vein they've been mining since The Joshua Tree and constant nonspecific lyrical statements like "Only love, only love unites our hearts" don't lead me to experience anything more than a desire to change the song.

Grade: C-

No comments: