Tuesday, March 9, 2010

An Open Letter

Dear Michael Giacchino,

Thank you. I saw you win the Academy Award for Best Original Score for Up on Sunday, and I have to say, it was beyond deserved. I'm listening to the score now, and I'm impressed most by its simplicity. I was already familiar with it. In less than a year, Up has become one of the 25 films I've seen most in my life. But I've never sat and listened to it before. The melodies are never too busy, never too crowded, never too clever. They are genuine, without ever faltering.

All the iconic film scores can stand on their own right while also bringing to mind the movie they support. All of my favourites do that, anyway. And yours is no exception. Ellie's Theme is so wonderful a thing, I've walked around for days with it stuck in my head, and loved every moment. It's gotten me through more than one shift of work, I can tell you that.

But what really hits me is the sadness. I listened to "Married Life" today, at my desk, quietly. And I was enraptured. When it came to the end of the section, and I knew what would be on screen, I could barely contain the emotions you stirred. Powerful experiences in music do not happen enough these days, Mr. Giacchino. Too often in this modern world we walk around without really feeling connected. I know I do. And I want to thank you for giving me one moment of undiluted feeling. I will be grateful to you for the rest of my life.

Andrew Lynch

No comments: