Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hut Two Three Four

There is Love in You
(2010)
Four Tet

In the last year or two, I've discovered a growing love for electronic music. Not necessarily dance electronic, though it never hurts if I can move to it. No, what I like, and quite specifically, is being able to listen to the same groove for seven minutes. I enjoy that. I like sinking into the sensation, and letting myself go. The best electronic music doesn't just make me lose my sense of time; it runs over time with a bulldozer. And that's what There is Love in You does so spectacularly.

Here we have a very gentle record, though at no point does it fall into the category of ambiance. The instrumentation is never pressing or aggressive, it never intrudes on a room, but it sits there, comfortable that you are interested enough to give it most of your attention. Any time you start to fade, it pulls you back in with a new detail.

The only unfortunate part of being fairly new to electronic music is that I don't have much to say about it. I know what I like. I like Four Tet. From the albums I already have, this is going to be a great year, folks. Get comfy.

No comments: