Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stylo


The new Gorillaz single, "Stylo," has been released via Youtube. Those who wish may listen to it, whilst they read, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SxlD74hvRk

On my first listen, the whole song left me feeling a bit empty; I wasn't discouraged from looking forward to Damon Albarn's next offering (Plastic Beach comes out 9 March), but I lost a bit of nerve. "Stylo" opens with a throwback synth hook that manages to remind me simultaneously of both Night Rider and "West End Girls" by Pet Shop Boys. I mean that to be a good thing. I've listened to it a few times since then, and I've grown rather fond of it. The hook repeats throughout the song, and it takes on a hypnotic quality, particularly when paired with Damon's gently vocodered vocal, espousing "When you know your heart is light, electric is the move." Bobby Womack is superb, throwing his back into a great guest vocal. Mos Def is featured as a character called Sun Moon Stars, and whilst his contribution here is minimal, it's still very effective. This is an excellent song, indicative of yet another new direction for Gorillaz, without betraying their core sound. How Damon Albarn manages to do this so consistently is one of life's great mysteries. But I hope he doesn't stop any time soon. And I look forward to hitting the Plastic Beach come March.

No comments: